CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 5, 2008

No Mercy Preview

So here are my predictions and thoughts for tonight's No Mercy card put forward by the WWE.

Ladder Match: World Heavyweight Champion Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels
The one thing I know about this puppy is it's going to be good. :) This is one of the hottest feuds in the WWE today, and has had equally good matches attached to it. I'm excited to see these two go at it in a match which is more conducive to their natural wrestling style than the brawls (however good they've been) in recent weeks. This should be a match of the year candidate if done right. As far as who wins goes - on a certain level I don't care, as I love both these men and both are deserving of the title. The sentimentalist in me is rooting for my longtime favourite Michaels; the realist in me believes they are not done with Chris Jericho yet, especially as he is the one performing more consistently, on a more full-time schedule these days. Look for Y2J to win this one - or at least not lose his title. Although I put that at a 60-40% chance; a Michaels win is not UN-likely, and again, I wouldn't mind either result.

WWE Champion Triple H vs. Jeff Hardy
We've been here before - and whatever chance Jeff Hardy had of winning the title was done away by the airport incident in which he was refused entry onto an airplane due to perceived impairment. Jeff Hardy seemingly enjoys very much being within arm's reach of the proverbial brass ring, but seems terrified to grab it, as every time he's expected to, he sabotages his own chances. Expect a Triple H win here, and for the only potential surprises to come in the form of who might interfere in this match (Vladimir Kozlov is likely, a returning Edge would be more intriguing). Regardless of whether I'm wrong about this one (I'm not) look for the champ coming out of this PPV to move on to a feud with Kozlov, who they've been building up strongly and correctly for some time.

ECW Champion Matt Hardy vs. Mark Henry
Mark Henry got his sympathy title run for the racial slurs thrown at him by WWE road agent and writer Michael Hayes. He did admirably, and performs better than expected on the ECW brand. However, he is still a moderate performer at best, who has expressed his intention of retiring upon completion of his current contract; Matt Hardy is a conistent and longterm workhorse on his first title run, with many years of his prime still ahead of him; plus, as they used his brother Jeff to send him a message a few years ago, it feels like Matt, of late, is an example to Jeff of what he could have accomplished if he cleaned up his act and focused. I don't think they're done with Matt, and I look for Hardy to retain here after what I hope is a decent match, with brawling on Henry's part and speed and deflection on Hardy's.

Batista vs. JBL
The fact that I believe Batista is coming out on top of this match only reinforces my suspicion Chris Jericho is surviving his ladder match with Shawn Michaels with his title intact. Not that Batista and Shawn Michaels don't have their issues, and can't put together a good continuation to their mini-feud from earlier this year; but I think heel-face is more the traditional format WWE is going with these days, and JBL's time as undeserving #1 contender (despite having being beaten roundly by CM Punk on several occasions, and indeed being really the only top-tier superstar to do so), is over. Look for Batista to win, and go on to challenge the retaining champ, Jericho. And if I'm wrong about the main event? Still look for a Batista win. ;) The only way I could possibly be wrong here is if Randy Orton asserts himself in this match against his former Evolution stablemate. Otherwise, this one can be taken to the bank.

Big Show vs. Undertaker
This will not be a speedfest by any means, but it has the potential to be a great brawl between two very talented, tough and convincing big men if they both bring their "A" game and don't call it in, as they both can do from time to time. However, Taker has criticized Big Show's drive in the past, and since then both have expressed respect for each other, and both seem to be putting a decent workrate into this feud. I anticipate a decent brawl, that the Deadman will come out on top of (although given his momentum, and that Show has been treading water since his big Wrestlemania match with Floyd Mayweather, I wouldn't mind seeing a Big Show win either).

Women's Champion Beth Phoenix vs. Candice Michelle
I'm thinking Beth Phoenix is going to retain her belt here as I can't imagine them taking it off of her only 1 month after winning it, especially to someone as injury-prone as Candice has been; but Candice Michelle is a popular diva who the WWE brass loves, and who I can see them wanting to return from her last injury in a big way. While this isn't as sure a thing as say Batista-JBL or Triple H-Hardy, I'm tentatively predicting Beth. Along with some Santino Marella hijinx in the meantime. :)

Rey Mysterio vs. Kane (Rey Mysterio must remove his mask if defeated)
Another tough one to call - I can't imagine why they'd add this stip if they didn't intend to remove Rey's mask (especially without a countering stip like, Kane must go back into his mask if he loses - that would make it less predictbale); and yet I also can't imagine after years of respecting what that mask represents to Rey Mysterio, and understanding that there are more marketing possibilites with the symbolism and logo of that mask, that they'd take away what has really become THE symbol of one of their most marketable stars. I'm going to lean towards Rey unmasking so that I'm not riding the fence, but again, neither result would be a shocker here - especially if a counter-stip gets added over the course of the evening like I suggested before.

All in all ... it should be an entertaining program; I'm actually looking forward to it, and especially the Michaels-Jericho match. It's a seven match card which is pretty typical, so look for there to be room for some excellent storyline progression, or for another quick match to be added. I'm anticipating a good show - as always, my thoughts on it will be published tomorrow right here. Be sure to tune back in then!

0 comments:

blog analyzer
HammerMill Copy Paper