CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Raw Thoughts

OK so not so first thing in the morning but ... ;)

  • Mike Adamle as GM: I think he's great so far - his talk of Ronald Reagan as a poor performer but beloved president was apt (my inability to see why the Great Communicator is so beloved aside), and he definitely has come up with some unique concepts, while being able to 'calm down' Raw is awesome. I'm afraid this whole 'Adamle Original' concept - the idea of an outsider's fresh eyes trying some different things - could lead to a whole lot of unnecessary and cheap gimmick matches, and therefore 'Dusty Finishes' (look it up kiddies), but so far it's unique. They're obviously playing him as an outsider from the biz, and whether that is meant to represent refreshing and new or clueless has yet to be seen, as Adamle pointedly did both, and made decisions favouring both faces and heels over the course of yesterday. The name of the game is 'new' and they managed to establish that without giving any firm answers as to where GM Adamle is going - good stuff.
  • I'm not entirely sure how I feel about John Cena and Batista as tag team champs - this didn't surprise me as much as it seems to have surprised some - namely my hubby. I don't like that Ted Dibiase Jr. and Cody Rhodes were defeated fairly handily without so much as a promo or anything to remind us they were strong beforehand - but I don't generally mind the 'reluctant tag champs' storyline if done well; it's been used twice now on Cena alone (he coheld those belts with Shawn Michaels during their feud last year), and having two singles standouts as tag champs cheapens the division which actually between the two brands is quite strong, but if it enhances storyline then I can overlook it - I just have yet to see if it does so I withhold judgement to see how this plays out in the lead up to Summerslam.
  • Shawn Michaels' promo was great, and it sets up where things go from here; he will be back at Summerslam, without wrestling a match, which forwards the storyline and gives us a sampling of where he goes from there, without giving us his 'first match back'. Progress without giving you the whole main course with the appetizer - this is how wrestling should be booked, and good job.
  • Some solid wrestling; I was pleased with the women's match, and the final tag championship match given that even though Cena and Batista won clearly, they didn't exactly *Squash* Rhodes and Dibiase, thus leaving them quasi strong. I was skeptical at first about the handicap match for the #1 contendership at Summerslam (remember what I said about silly unnecessary gimmicks?), but the performers made the concept work, and worked hard to pull it off so good on them!
Overall a strong Raw - more thoughts on that and more tomorrow night on "In This Very Ring" broadcast. Other comments will include discussion of Ric Flair's contractual parting of the ways from WWE, Tyson Tomko's leaving of TNA (Yes, for the first time, I believe, since I started writing at this location, I will actually address The Competition), and Summerslam as it's building up - of course, also furthering our discussion of the Adamle-ader (thanks JG) and the Edge-Vicki-Undertaker-etc. saga on Smackdown. 10pm EDT tomorrow night ... see you right here, In This Very Ring.

0 comments:

blog analyzer
HammerMill Copy Paper