CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I want answers ... you want answers ... I want the truth ... In unison now, everyone ...

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

OK. I suppose the first three words - 'I want answers' - are really what the point of this entry is. As much as I've said I don't want to make this blog a 'wait for ITVR Wednesday' thing, and want to offer my thoughts on Raw, there are too many, in too many pieces, to piece that together with the GAB and all that, to get into here and leave much to discuss on the show tomorrow. So I figured I'd summarize my feelings on Raw, while waiting to elaborate until tomorrow. And my feelings basically are : "I want answers".

We've been running the rudderless Raw angle for about a month now. We've had 4 weeks with CM Punk as champion, Kane wandering around aimlessly looking for (possibly un-)dead people, the junior McMahon's cryptically demanding peace on a show which, according to my cable provider, is "aggressive" in nature ... lots of irons in the fire. Will Punk finally become a credible champion instead of champ due to all kinds of non-finishes? Who is Kane inquiring about? What are the McMahon kids going to do about the unprofessional atmosphere of Raw? What is the state of Vince McMahon's health? I'm all for not hotshotting matches and angles, giving things time to simmer and brew; but the way to do that is to toss a bone or two each week; give some indication that while all is not clear right now, it WILL be.

Some ideas, for example: Punk doesn't need to have gotten his first clean win by now; but to be a credible champion he should at least be getting closer, or getting frustrated to the point of near-heelishness, or SOMETHING; maybe we don't need to know exactly what Kane is talking about just yet but maybe a peek into the bag? We don't need to know exactly what the status of Vince is, and why the McKids are so concerned about peace, order, and good government on Raw; but perhaps a live appearance by them one of these weeks? There's a fine line between having a good, enticing angle which is not hot-shotted, lasts awhile, entices you and draws you in, and watching the same recapping, expository interactions every week on Raw.

Bottom line: we don't need to move forward to conclusions, but we SHOULD be moving forward. And as much as I'm diggin' WWE's change of direction - new faces on new shows, interacting with different people, sticking with storylines until their logical conclusion instead of hotshotting them or - worse - dropping them - it too risks a precipitous fall into a rut if it doesn't progress as well. Direction implies movement - let's see it. :)

0 comments:

blog analyzer
HammerMill Copy Paper